Turkey‘s Lycian Coast by bicycle and ship
With our motor sailer and by bike we explore the Lycian coast from Marmaris to Kalkan. Our swimming hotel is stylish and charming and fulfills even the highest expectations. Let your tour guide show you unique natural wonders and historical sites, let yourself be taken back into the distant past. Admire the famous rock graves of Dalyan, which coastal Lycians have carved here into the stone, and enjoy the breathtaking scenery of the Saklikent Canyon. Spend your nights in secluded bays and let yourself be rocked to sleep by the gentle murmur of the waves, or go out and enjoy the pulsating life of the harbour towns full of cafes and bars.
Day 1 (Sat) Marmaris (Embarkation)
Individual plane trip to Dalaman and transfer to Marmaris (ca. 1.5 h). Check-in on board begins at 2 pm. Use the afternoon for a stroll through the town and its famous bazaar. The tour begins with a communal dinner on board.
Day 2 (Sun) Marmaris – Bozburun Peninsula – Ekincik (Cycling distance 34 mi./55 km)
Our first bike tour begins after breakfast and takes first along a coastal stretch and then along a mountain road to a 300 m-high village on the Bozburun Peninsula, which is one of the most authentic and pristine regions of the Turkish Mediterranean coast. At the shore below, the ship is waiting to take us on the crossing to Ekincik, a small port, where we spend the night.
Day 3 (Mon) Ekincik – Dalyan – Kaunos (Cycling distance approx. 19 mi./ 30 km)
Today, we bicycle across a 350 m-high pass to Lake Köycegiz, whose hot springs invite us to take a therapeutic bath. We then continue by bike as far as Dalyan, where an excursion boat is waiting to take us past the impressive Lycian rock graves of Dalyan to the ancient city of Kaunos. The impressive ruins of Kaunos are well worth a visit before the boat takes us back to the ship, which is anchored in front of a rock formation and where a delicious dinner is waiting for us.
Day 4 (Tue) Dalyan – Sarsala Bay (Cycling distance approx. 34 mi./ 54 km)
In the morning, a small boat takes us and our bikes to Dalyan, the starting point of today’s bike trip, riding along quiet roads through lush vegetation. In Dalaman, we stop for a typical Turkish tea break. We continue afterwards through the fertile and partially wooded Dalaman Plain as far as Sarsala, a quiet bay, where we spend the night.
Day 5 (Wed) Sarsala Bay – Göcek - Gemiler (Cycling distance approx. 18 mi./ 28 km)
Starting from Sarsala, we cycle once more across the Dalaman Plain and later via a pass road to Göcek, which, on account of its important marina, is one of the most important locations for tourism on the Turkish south coast. In the afternoon, passing many small islands, the ship brings us to Gemiler, which is also known as the island of St. Nicholas, to whom an Early Christian church was dedicated in the 5th century. In the evening, the extensive Byzantine ruins are asking to be explored.
Day 6 (Thurs) Gemiler – Kayaköy – Fethiye (Cycling distance approx. 19 mi./ 30 km)
From Gemiler, we bicycle through pinewoods to the Greek town of Kayaköy, which once had 6,500 inhabitants but was abandoned in 1922. We spend some time here to explore the impressive town ruins on foot. We then continue on to Fethiye, where we have enough time in the evening to go on an enjoyable walk through this lively town. Of particular interest is the old centre around the Eski Cami mosque, the narrow, winding stepped streets and the typical corner houses as well as the Lykian rock graves, especially the magnificent temple grave of Amyntas, located above the town.
Day 7 (Fri) Fethiye – Kemer – Saklikent – Kalkan (Cycling distance approx. 33 mi./ 54 km)
A pleasant transfer ride takes us from Fetiye to Kemer, the starting point of today’s bike tour. This is a truly impressive place, because the Taurus Mountains, up to 3,000 m high, almost reach the shore here. We cycle from there to the Saklikent Canyon, where we have lunch right by the river. Saklikent means “Hidden City” in Turkish. The spectacular gorge can easily be explored on foot. We continue southward as far as Kalkan, where we end our journey through Lykia with a cozy communal dinner on board and a friendly get-together with the crew and the tour guides.
Day 8 (Sat) Kalkan (Disembarkation)
After breakfast, check-out, return transfer to the airport and individual return home or extended stay in Turkey.
Alterations: We reserve the right to make alterations to the itinerary, depending on wind and weather conditions or organisational requirements. Sometimes the tour will be conducted in inverse order. You will find further details in your booking information packet.
Bringing Children: We believe that only children in a good physical condition and of a minimum age of 10 and previous bicycle tour experience are able to master the bike-tours on their own strength. Please note that the minimum height for the bikes we provide is 1,40 m (4.6 ft.)
Ship Caferoglu 7
The Caferoglu 7 is a beautifully designed, 39-meter motor yacht made of wood that has been crossing the sea since 2007. Ten comfortably furnished guest cabins can be found on this elegant ship (5 with double beds / 5 with twin beds) situated near the two comfortable lounges for your relaxation. All cabins are equipped with a bathroom, a shower / WC and air-conditioning. Numerous reclining options offer plenty of space on the sun deck in order for you to relax whilst sailing, giving you time to take in the many impressions. The friendly crew do their best to provide you with a trouble free trip.
The cook on board is a member of the crew and prepares the breakfast and two warm meals a day. The full board starts with the lunch on the arrival day and ends with the breakfast on the departure day.
Dates & Prices 2014
|Apr, 19 - Apr, 26
||1190 Euro price per person in a double cabin from Marmaris to Kalkan on ship Caferoglu 7
|May, 10 - May, 17
||1190 Euro from Kalkan to Marmaris on ship Caferoglu 7
|Oct, 18 - Oct, 25
||1190 Euro from Marmaris to Kalkan on ship Caferoglu 7
|Nov, 01 - Nov, 08
||1190 Euro from Kalkan to Marmaris on ship Caferoglu 7
Minimum participants: 14
Maximum participants: 22
WHAT´S INCLUDED IN THE TRIP:
|8 days/7 nights
- 8-day boat trip on board of the Caferoglu 7
- 7 x half-board
- 7 nights‘ accommodation in the spacious double cabins - - with private shower/WC
- 6 guided bike-tours as described in itinerary. Total itinerary about 230 kms (144 miles)
- Bed linen and towels
- 21-gear trekking bike with an Ortlieb saddle-bag or anelectric bike can be rented at extra cost
- English speaking tour guide
- Return collecting-transfer from the airport in Dalaman/Izmir to the boat,, as long as those transfers take place at embarkation and disembarkation days.
|Additional optional services
- Single cabin surcharge: 300 euro (limited; reservation required)
- ½ a double cabin can be booked (on request)
- Electric bike of the Swiss brand FLYER with Ortlieb pannier: 100 euro/week if booked in advance or 20 euro/day if only booked on site (limited, on request)
- Insurance against theft and damage of the rental bike: hybrid bicycle 10 euro/week; electric bike 20 euro/week (not insured: deliberate damage)
- Group transfer between Dalaman airport and the boat in Kalkan or Marmaris (only on embarkation and disembarkation days): 20 euro/person/way if booked until 30 days prior departure; 25 euro/person/way if booked 29 - 8 days prior departure; 30 euro/person/way if booked within the last 7 days prior departure (booking incl. the complete transmission of flight details). According to these conditions group transfers to the airports of Bodrum or Izmir are available at double the price.
- Additional nights in Marmaris, Dalyan or on Datca Peninsula can be booked on request
We believe that only children in a good physical condition and of a minimum age of 10 and previous bicycle tour experience are able to master the bike-tours on their own strength. Please note that the minimum height for the bikes we provide is 1,40 m (4.6 ft.)
||Level 2-3: the day-tours average 40 km and will take you through partly hilly and mountainous terrain. There will also be extended climbs. Most of the roads are asphalted. You can set aside a whole or half-day for swimming or relaxing on board the boat whenever you want.
|Not included in the tour price
- Flights to/from Turkey
- Beverages on board (tally sheet; to be paid to the captain)
- Meals and drinks ashore
- Entries for individually visited attractions
- Tips for crew and tour-guides
- International banking fees: 2 % of total amount (credit card payment)
Although Marmaris is an ideal starting point for our tour to the Greek Aegean South and along the Turkish coast, and the place itself a touristic centre with beautiful beaches, it has only very few interesting things worth visiting. So if you wish to extend your vacation in Marmaris itself, we recommend that you stay only one to three days. If you want to extend your vacation for a whole week, the Datca peninsula located 35 km southwest of Marmaris or the region around Dalyan 50 km away have much more to offer.
Please contact us for further information about hotels.
||Euro 300 per person upon reservation, final payment 5 weeks before tour departure. CC payments Visa or Mastercard do have an additional increase of 2%
||Eary booking discount 5% valid until end of january 2014
Children under 16 sharing a cabin:-25%
3rd persona sharing cabin:-50% (not combinable with the 25 and 50% discount)
- 60 days or more before the beginning of the trip: 10% of the trip price (25 € per person minimum)
- 59 – 31 days before the trip begins: 30% of the trip price
- 30 – 21 days before the trip begins: 50% of the trip price
- 20 – 11 days before the trip begins: 70% of the trip price
- 10 – 1 days before the trip begins: 90% of the trip price.
- We urge you to consider effecting a travel cancellation cost insurance. Before the trip, please also find out about your medical and accident insurance and about luggage insurance or travel liability insurance, if necessary.